- We created a minecraft server for this genius hour and because of some limitations at school we had to resort to working at our home to make all this work.
- With the project I worked on music composition which is creating different forms of music with looping and notes. I learned lots of information about different types whether classical or techno, it became a learning curve every step of the way. What I created was a song that has almost every type of music genre within the program i used, Mixcraft.
- What we learned was too find out ways too fix the red ring of death for xbox 360.
- I learned that fundraising is no joke. To fund raise, there are a lot of preparation to do. I can't imagine how much time and effort it'll take to fund raise thousands of dollars.
- For Android Development, I ran into the issue of a certain section of code not working, despite the tutorial on developer.android showing the exact same thing I had. I didn't realize that after eclipse makes all the associations to other files it changes the section of code to make it work.
- I started out with just an idea about science, but I had no idea about what I was going to do next. After thinking for a few days I got a few ideas from a classmate about how I was going to elaborate on the topic science, she suggested why don't you try putting it online or something. Then I asked the teacher about what I could try doing with my idea after explaining about it to her. She suggested me some websites, but for some of them there was only a free trial and for the whole thing you had to pay. So I told the teacher that and she gave me some other websites to try, plus she showed me some of her work on her websites that she created. And that helped me more about my own genius hour. Then I went to some of the websites that she suggested, and I particularly liked one of the website so I started using it and I collected more ideas to put into the main idea. That was after she taught me how to use the website, but the only problem that I had was how I was going to present my work. But now I asked the teacher again and she told me to answer the questions on her website and just show my work on the website I went on, and then explain why.
- In Genius Hour I created an umbrella that was meant to be handsfree and sturdy enough to withstand wind and relatively comfortable for everyone to use but turned out to be something a bit different. For the umbrella I managed to make the umbrella sturdy enough but it really made the umbrella uncomfortable to wear or use.
- I've learned how to use Premier Pro. I've learned how to make my own slideshows, cut unwanted parts of the video, make my own mix tape videos.
- I learned many things from Genius Hour this year from the problems, challenges, and the mistakes I made. I learned more about how the Surrey Servers work since my software would not function properly using the server. The program would work on the administrator account but not any other accounts such as library and the student account. From this, we realized that using the flash drive would be a type of loop whole that would allow us to avoid the problems of the Android Development Tool not working. Furthermore, after finally beginning my programming on Android using Eclipse, I learned that using downloading the Software Development Kit would not work through Library, you had to use either the Administrator account or your student Account. From this, I realized that Library has the least permission on the computer, followed by the student account, then finally (at the top) the administrator account. Followed by this, I learned how Android coding varies from Java coding (which I had experience in). It is definitely more difficult to memorize the code in Android compared to Java. The codes are very different, but the principle of programming stays the same.
- We made a short video of the school, however we weren't able to finish, but we were able to see what we did wrong, like knowing when to take the picture, taking all the picture at once, being able to take time and made edits in the video, and still being able to finish the picture.
- What I learn in Genius Hour is that how to use time wisely and how to use After Effects. My group created a stop animation video of a tour of our school. But, we didn't plan out correctly and we need to get it done soon. After all this we also learned to plan out to talk to teacher for when they are free or when we can use their rooms at a certain time.
- During the course of genius hour we learned that more time and effort needs to be put into the planning of the video because we ended up not having time to finish due to the lack of planning. If we had planned better we would have known that there was going to be Christmas decorations in the hallway which would prevent us from taking the pictures needed for the movie.
- I created many things on prezi, i learned that you need teamwork and need to cooperate with each other.
- I learned how to create a new website using new tools and working on different websites.
- I learned about the basic features of creating a video in flash. I created a fighting scene with two guys by use of motion, meaning I had to go to Photoshop and create copies of various several body parts of the guys so I could move them. From there, I just created a fight scene with swords, magic, and even summons.
- I learned how electricity is created, how 3-d printers work, I learned about different minerals and what they do, And I made prizes on them.
- I learn about how to use the program Scratch from MIT. One of the things I learned was how the tools work . An example in order to make a ball bounce. I would have to get the right tools and combine them together.
- At Genius Hour I created multiple photo shop documents and got advice and lessons from a teacher that does photoshop everyday, using the feedback I learnt and used that and made more docs.
- I Learnt the basics of flash gaming, we made a game but we never got the time to get started on adding the scripts
- I learned how to manage a website like tsn.ca and nhl.com, how they update there site every day and how it really just takes one long day to set up the site then after that its easy. I also learned how to graph on excel and use it for articles on our website
- In genius hour i learned how to program for making an app and some of the things i learned that you have to be very precise to accomplish programming or else you will keep running into obstacles.
- Photoshop, Sony Vegas , Adobe After effects
- Not much...
- In genius hour I learned a bit of stuff about programming. It takes a lot of effort and hard work to program an app. If your work is not accurate enough you will run into problems throughout your project.
- We created a hockey website which would show all the basic need to knows about whats happening in the hockey world. We did something different then all the others tho. We stated a free to play hockey fantasy pool. I learned how to manage the website. use sniping tools, and how to use Photoshop at an advance level.
- I did a lot of different things during Genius Hour. For the most part I worked with music but it took a bit of time to get there. Originally I tried my luck at apps and such but it did not work out too well.
- I have learned much about photo shop, from all the tools, to how each picture ever taken has potential to become something better. I have edited and tried to create a wide array of pictures, trying to create different effects and feelings for each picture.
- I have created a background for a game in Flash. I learned how use the basic tools in flash.
- To make an app which we did not complete we had to link the programming with the ball and the platform etc. It did not work though because in the programming we wrote the name of the image that it was supposed to be, but i forgot to rename the image. So we started again using the name of the image that we had used.
- I learned how to use flash and how to import stuff on to it. I also learned how to make a hand move and how to make the head move and dance. Another thing I learned it how to get music playing in the back.
- Me and my group created an app, but we were not able to complete, because we were busy in winter break so we didn't have time to do the programming, but we did learn how to create an app.
- I learned how to work with a new website program that I have never used before, I learned how to put in videos and pictures, I learned how to add new tabs and learned how to add pictures into your main page.
- I learned how to add bass to songs together and i also learned how to fade music in and out
- At first I tried to make a game with a group of people then not everyone was working so we decided to split up and then I tried making a game on a separate website however that seemed to easy so currently I am working on finishing making some flash games such as pong.
- I learned to put one song into another. Mixing many songs and making them combined into one
- What I learned is that even if two Xbox 360's have three red rings, it does not mean they both have the same problem. I found this out when one of our Xbox's was fixed but we couldn't fix the other using the same method.
- I learned how to use different skills to build this product and I also ordered parts from a different country to cut cost and save money. I also learned how to be self motivated and work hard all on my own.
- I had fun and I worked hard
- I learned that xbox's are weird and hard to fix and almost every one that is broken has something different that is wrong with it
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
What my Students learned in Genius Hour
I've gone through the survey of the students' assessment of Genius Hour (last blog entry). Here is a list of what the students themselves say they have learned. Here is your test. Tell me which are Grade 9/10 students and which are from my Grade 11/12 students. The list of which # is in which grade is listed below:
Here is a short summary of what I learned and/or created at genius hour.
Grade 11/12: 1 – 12, 29, 36 - 39
Grade 9/10: 13 – 28, 30 – 35,